Thursday 14 July 2011

Mini collection 47

Royal Doulton "Celebrity collection" character jugs
This isn't the sort of thing we normally collect, but we got Groucho first and then it was just too tempting not to try to complete the series. But Clark Gable is missing because his jug was taken out of circulation almost immediately (his estate didn't like the likeness) -- so if any come up for sale they cost thousands. And apparently there's an early version of Groucho which has Chico and Harpo peeping round Groucho's cigar, but it was simplified as that version was too difficult to produce. That, too, is a real rarity.
      They are Jimmy Durante, Louis Armstrong, Groucho Marx and Mae West.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

To me, these are truly hideous but not necessarily in a bad way! I'll be looking out now for those rarities that are going to make me rich, thanks for the tip!

x

LAC EMP 2020 said...

I think the master modeller might have had a day off when they did Mae West. Apologies Jane, but I honestly thought it was Danny La Rue! I shall keep my eye out for rarities but I haven't seen many of these jugs at all, ever. But at least I know what Clark Gable looks like so you never know...!

menopausalmusing said...

so bad they're good! :O)))))))