Thursday 24 January 2013

My new artist's website

moo cards for my new website
I've got a brand-new website to showcase my art. Please do visit it: www.janehousham.co.uk. I think anybody who wants their art to be seen needs a website. I held off for a long time because I didn't feel I had enough work to show but now I want to let people see what I'm doing and encourage myself to do more.

I looked into lots of different 'pathways' to getting a web presence before I plumped for having a bespoke one designed for me. There are lots of less costly options on shared sites that give artists their own 'spaces'on them but, often (it seemed to me from rootling around), the websites have their own agendas and the individual artists' work can get a bit lost. I also looked into using online templates and instructions to make my own website. I did this once before when I was designing greetings cards, using a free version of DreamWeaver from a magazine -- I managed to create something useable but it nearly killed me. Even Wordpress seemed complicated.

I knew that I wanted really good navigability and a slideshow, so I decided to get someone who knew what they were doing to do it for me. I'm pleased with it but now I need to feed and nurture it with fresh work and more images. It feels a bit like a living thing that I mustn't neglect.

I got the little Moo cards printed to help publicise the site. If you don't know about Moo cards, I recommend them. They're very high quality and the best thing about them is that, if you're ordering 100 business cards, you can load up one single image or a hundred different images (or any number in between) and they don't charge you any more for lots of different cards. Trouble is, I almost like the little tiny reproductions of my paintings better than the real thing.

8 comments:

Joanna said...

Congratulations on your new website, Jane, it looks amazing. Your artwork is showcased beautifully. I love your Moo cards too, they are like little bite-size art treats :)

x

Gina said...

It looks great Jane. Well done on taking that first step... and may it be a huge success!

LAC EMP 2020 said...

I should have sent you a note after looking at the website the other week! I love your 'can do' attitdue about doing this and getting the Moo cards is another positive step. Just a look at that photo makes me want to collect a whole set of moo cards with your images on.... especially those St Davids clowns. Still my favourite painting of yours. A winner.

Sage Aumick said...

“I think anybody who wants their art to be seen needs a website.” – Indeed! Our art serves as a medium of our thoughts and emotions. There should be platforms where we can showcase our talents – and this is where websites become really helpful. For one, the World Wide Web compels a lot of possible audience, so you really have an opportunity to share your talents to the world.

colleen said...

Oh, well done. I'm sure you are right about getting the site designed by an expert. And I really liked being able to see everything in one place. I'm especially attracted to the paintings with seaside - Thorpe Bay in particular. I would though, i suppose.

menopausalmusing said...

One enormous smile from this end............... WELL DONE YOU!

James Russell said...

Knock knock
Who's there?
Interrupting cow
Interrupting cow wh-
MOOO!

It works better out loud

Kitsch and Curious said...

Yay! The website looks amazing - glad it all worked out in the end! You have a great body of work to be proud of now - it's even more impressive to see it altogether. I hope you're pleased with it too.
Just FAB!!